Monday, September 26, 2016

Usually it takes days to get over a loss

     As a self-proclaimed rabid fan of the Miami Dolphins, after a loss, I am usually sick to my stomach until dinner time Wednesday - before I can talk to my friends about the upcoming opponent.  However, since this week's game is Thursday, I will swallow my bile and move on to Cincinnati.

     I like our chances.

     We have a long history of playing up or down to our opponent's level.   This week was a case in point.   I believe If we strike early and our Defense finds a way to play the middle 5 to 12 yard area of the field, we will be fine.   LBs please defend your assigned gaps.  Everyone knows you overpursue, so they design line movement hard one way and cut back into the gap you just left - stop it Jenkins - you do it the most often.

     I sincerely believe Pouncey is coming back this week.   Or, more correctly, I believe Kim Bokamper and Joe Rose when they say they believe it.  That should help the running game.  Gase, please call a deep ball early in game to clear the middle.  Send Stills or Parker, or both, deep and have Tannehill throw a high arch ball.  If it is caught or close to being caught, it will keep their defense honest, which will open up the middle - man was it congested against the Browns.

    After months of practice, many of the players on both sides of the ball keep missing their asignments.  I must say I almost always blame coaching for that.  But, somehow this time I think it is player related brain-farts.  Dudes, get your heads clear and know your assignments.  It's time.

     Miami 27 - Cincinnati 20



Like This Article ? :

8 comments

avatar

Just curious Omar... what did you learn about yourself and yourteam (Sun Sentinel) by asking every single player what they learned about themselves and what they learned about the team? I heard their responses. They talked about not quiting and believing in each other. However, your posts and tweets seem to be missing any of that. Instead, it was some snarky take on how bad Miami is. You know Pittsburgh got blasted by a rookie QB, but I'm sure your take their is it was just a bad game. Well sir, that was just a bad game. We will bounce back and find our way. I believe in the coaches to get it done.

avatar

Also, Florida lost two of its own yesterday. The King of Golf, Mr. Arnold Palmer and the fantastic Marlin's pitcher Jose Fernandez. You were loved and you will be missed.

avatar

Okay, one more thought. As a team, we ran for 115 yards against the Browns. We can rush the ball. If we get Pouncey back, I believe the offense goes from inconsistent to explosive.

avatar

Not that I'm a defensive X & O expert, but it seems like this wide 9 defense is causing the huge running lanes up the middle. On third & short when we tighten up, the lanes aren't there. Alonso has been playing very well for the most part but the other 2 have had their struggles. Seemed like Hewitt provided a boost when he came in yesterday.

avatar

Unknown, i noticed the same thing, especially on first downs, the wide 9 leaves the middle open and the LB HAS to make the tackle. The LB's were missing and that is why we were getting gashed up the middle on running downs. They need to figure a way to close those gaps and tighten up the running game. Maybe cheat a safety up in the box?

avatar

Unknown, i noticed the same thing, especially on first downs, the wide 9 leaves the middle open and the LB HAS to make the tackle. The LB's were missing and that is why we were getting gashed up the middle on running downs. They need to figure a way to close those gaps and tighten up the running game. Maybe cheat a safety up in the box?

avatar

Gary, you're right, and I recall some plays where they've done it. Moving a safety up has been effective at times, but it's a gamble that leaves the secondary thin. I think accurate QB's will thrive against this defense, except for ~8-10 plays per game when we get pressure (sack or hurry). This D-line is strong enough that I see no need to try to create an advantage on pass-rushing angles at the expense of getting gashed. Even when the LB is there, power runners stand a good chance of breaking the first tackle.

avatar

Ignore Omar, he is a popcorn fart. I like Gase thus far, he doesn't accept mediocrity or bull sht. I expect us to come out Thursday strong and competitive, I can't call a win but I like the coaching angle from Gase. However I think our d coordinator might be in over his head so far. Time will tell.