Friday, September 23, 2016

It's Isaiah Pead Time in Miami

    I wrote in these pages a few months ago that Ryan Tannehill would be unleashed as a running threat for the Dolphins this year.  I never took things so far as to claim that RT would be the Dolphins leading rusher.  But here we are.
    The Dolphins cannot ask Tannehill to be everything on offense.  They must boost their 3.7 yard average per carry and find someone who can carry the ball with durability and reliability.  In Foster's absence, that can only be Isaiah Pead.
    Consider the facts:  Ajayi is a fifth round pick.  He averages 2.2 yards per carry.  He fumbles and has already exhibited a sense of entitlement and attitude problems.  This ain't Idaho, kid.  We have options.
    Drake is promising, but he's a role player.  10 touches a game seems about right, and to get those touched he'll need to work on blitz pickups so he's not a liability.
    Williams is hard nosed and an excellent change of pace option.  He doesn't project as an every down player in this league, and is the sort of player who maintains roster viability by being useful on Special Teams and being comfortable in his bit role.
    That leaves Pead.  A second round pick who never found his way, he is fresh.  He averaged 6+ yards per carry in preseason.  And he wants to be a spark.  This is precisely the sort of player who sneaks up on you and takes your job while you are nursing another soft tissue issue in you brother's garage on some bizarre dietary regimen, not that I have anyone in mind.
    Foster had the best chance of starting the year, given his experience and pedigree.  Pead has the best chance of finishing.

    Oh, and a random thought for Tanny-hate nation:  Did you compare his numbers to Osweilier's tonight?  The Texans gave their QB 4+ yards per carry and he couldn't move the ball at the razor.  Our guy got no help on the ground and put up 300+.  Tannehill is good.  The rest of the offense needs to pick it up.

Jay Lopez
Like This Article ? :

9 comments

avatar

I've had high hopes for Pead since we signed him. I was glad we held onto him after he was injured in the preseason. I really do feel he can be a difference-make for us. Starting RB is up for grabs and it starts this week...

avatar

Keep Foster on the shelf bc he just sucks. Tell me what the difference is between Drake and Lamar Miller besides experience. Similar build and speed. Play Drake.

avatar

I wanna see Pead he erred it in the preseason and I think fans will be delightfully surprised at what he can do as far as ajayi goes he needs to be sent packing he is not gonna make it in the nfl just not who I want in our backfield and after all the pouting before the Seahawks game you would think when he got chance to play against the Patriots he would of done everything he could do to be productive and that was not the case I cringe when I see him in the backfield cuz I kniw he's not gonna gain any yards on the ground and I have to worry about him coughing up the ball send his ass back to England please

avatar

I wanna see Pead he erred it in the preseason and I think fans will be delightfully surprised at what he can do as far as ajayi goes he needs to be sent packing he is not gonna make it in the nfl just not who I want in our backfield and after all the pouting before the Seahawks game you would think when he got chance to play against the Patriots he would of done everything he could do to be productive and that was not the case I cringe when I see him in the backfield cuz I kniw he's not gonna gain any yards on the ground and I have to worry about him coughing up the ball send his ass back to England please

avatar

Hahaha Frilley- same vibes. I dread his carries.

avatar

RC- are they the same weight? Drake looks so much more slight to me- open to the idea. He's exciting and can make things happen. But he needs to improve his blocking first. He can't be our every down back until he shows he can erase a blitzing linebacker. Otherwise starting him will lead to turnovers and a potential injury at the helm.

avatar

we def need a.change, please draft one of the good running backs coming out this year, would be nice not to be 3rd and long all day and be able to pick up a 3rd and 2 on the ground

avatar

we def need a.change, please draft one of the good running backs coming out this year, would be nice not to be 3rd and long all day and be able to pick up a 3rd and 2 on the ground