Monday, August 01, 2016

Gase has nothing but love for Joseph's Wide Nine Defense

I've said this before.  When you have thoroughbreds, you don't race them as trotters.  That image in a nutshell explains the difference between Kevin Coyle's and Vance Joseph's defense.  The Wide Nine Defense is an attacking defense.  Yes, it leaves the linebackers and safeties slightly vulnerable, but the  benefits of this style of defense far outweighs the risk.  Hell, this gives our linebackers and safeties an opportunity to shine.  The skill and depth of our defensive line is the envy of most coaches.  And, the attacking style will put a strain on the best of offenses.

I know everyone believed we would dominate on defense last year.  And, in preseason we did dominate, but as soon as Coyle decided to play genius and try to out-smart the other coaches instead of just dominate them, we got exposed.  With the depth and talent, we should be able to attack 40 minutes a game.  Let's just hope we never have to defend that long.

One major benefit to the offensive line, is that there may only be 2 or 3 teams in the league with as dominant a defensive front.  So, they will practice against the best, and learn to operate fast and play tough each play.  The benefit to the offense in general is that it will give them an opportunity to work on and master hot reads.  I can honestly say I have never been so excited.  I sincerely believe we will be one of the scariest teams to face for every opponent.

I am pumped.  I love the owner, great job on the new and improved stadium (rehab), as well as the off-season hires.  I love the head coach and his offensive philosophy.  He is the real deal.  I love the new defensive coordinator and all the line coaches.  What an upgrade.  I am confident we have the front office to keep getting better and better talent.  And, lastly I love the team's upbeat attitude..  it shows in every interview.  These guys love coming to work now.  It will be a great year!





Like This Article ? :

19 comments

avatar

All teams have optimism this time of year. So much on Tannehill, I get that, but the OLINE is the priority. Too, too many times a drive is stalled or was killed thanks to a sack. It is utterly amazing that RT has not been a long term DL victim because of the porous line ever since he's been drafted. The defense as a whole should be ok, but the secondary is less than ok. My take is that better coaching, aggressiveness and no "queazyness" (Philbinitis) could get the Phins up to 3 wins better than last year. 9-7 ain't too bad for a first year coach. Another offseason to fix the secondary and this team will be very good. Who knows, maybe 9-7 gets a playoff birth this year if they can get a little lucky.

avatar

Sounds like a positive /outlook.

avatar

Omar still keeps it real though.

avatar

I really believe Mr Pena that we are set to be that worst to first team that happens every year. We have had very good talent for a while. It is just atrocious coaching for 5 straight years that has destroyed our seasons. I sense this coaching staff will pull out five more wins this year. We will be the toast of the NFL.

avatar

I like your energy and optimism, fellas. I'm not sure what our record will look like; a lot will depend on how well our LB's hold up. As you astutely suggest MPF, Joseph's system gives lots of freedom to the second tier. I love our safeties, and I think we are moderately talented at LB but painfully thin. If we can stay healthy this could be fun.

avatar
This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar

If we say that our talent was good enough to be 8-8 with bad coaching. I say with good coaching, you add 3 games, we should win 11 games.

avatar

Jay, I don't know. At linebacker, I like our backups from last year. We may have more depth than you realize. Hewitt is excellent. In that last Patriots game, he was a stud.

avatar

I saw an interview with Suh, Wake, and Mario Williams, and I got to thinking that, if these three play up to their potential and Earl Mitchell or Phillips step up their game, we have the makings of a seriously scary D-line. If Andre Branch and Jason Jones (and maybe Dion Jordan in the Defensive end mix) play well also, Watch out!! I realize that I'm asking a lot, but I'm still very optimistic. This kind of defensive line automatically makes the offense better (more chances to be on the field/time of possession = more possible scoring). Just my optimism. Go 'Fins!!!!

avatar

I agree. I loved that interview also. With the much improved coaching, we WILL be crazy good.

avatar

I think this team shocks the world this year. You heard it here first.

avatar
This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar

Omar keeps nothing real. He starts with a closed-minded root assumption and spins his negative Web from there.

avatar

Our DL and OL are looking good on paper. At this time of year, that's all you can ask.

Defensively, if we stay healthy and the 2nd CB, whomever that is, plays decent, we could turn some heads.

We have a tough early schedule. The guys know this. So I expect an excellent camp. Don't forget we are a tough road team and we were 3-1 against playoff teams last year.

avatar
This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar

Carl, you keep thinking as if coaching is the same. These defeatist thoughts hurt the cause. Please reread.